Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Although I didn't know Mike all that long, he made it so easy to be around him. One word: Generous! I met him through other friends and last August he saw me at Hideout Block Party and said hello. We talked about music, what bands we liked, didn't like. From that point forward, every time we'd see each other we had something to talk about. Thus began our friendship.

Last October Bob Dylan was coming to town, but of course I couldn't afford such a big name. Mike and I talked about how amazing and influential Bob Dylan was and I expressed my deep regret at not being able to go. Anyway, shortly after that conversation he called and asked if I wanted to go with him to see Bob Dylan! Of course, newly sober, I thought he was in love with me or something, but I hesitantly accepted the invitation.

On the night of the concert, Mike picked me up and at once I felt safe and comfortable. He was so easy to be around. Such a warm presence. Mike had no expectations, he just wanted to share a great experience. The night was somewhat existential to me. Mike, thank you for facilitating and sharing one of the most amazing musical moments in my life with me. I still carry that ticket around with me a year later.

Thank you for inviting me to fellowship, and encouraging me to be of service, thank you for showing up for me, and thank you for being you. You are missed.

~Sarah Y

No comments: