Monday, November 17, 2008

This picture was taken at a birthday party for Anne and Annalise at Bucca di Beppo on Clark. I remember it so clearly. It was November of 2002 and I had 6 months under my belt. Surrounded by new friends, I felt the excitement of what was to come.

Mike had gotten me to that point. While so many people were there for me, Mike took me to meetings he knew would keep me coming back. He made sure fellowship was part of the solution, so I'd have no good reason to leave. He made it fun...

I'm not spending too much time asking why this has happened, but instead remembering why I'm here and what my role is now.

In many ways, Mike was doing the stuff I always wanted to do. He used his hands to build furniture, grow vegetables, fix cars. He threw parties for any occasion, planned trips, put himself out there. He took romantic risks.

He was an example of staying in action. But he wasn't perfect or immune to this.
We aren't either.

He led me when I didn't know. And he was a friend. I'll miss him.

--Brooks

No comments: